How to File the Statement of Economic Interests
Paper File (All Form 700 filers):
You may submit a paper only copy of Form 700 to satisfy your filing requirement. Please use the Form 700 in PDF format from the Fair Political Practices Commission and submit a paper copy of the form with an original signature to the Ethics Commission.
E-File (Optional for 87200 filers and officers who file Form 700 with the Ethics Commission):
The Statement of Economic Interests (Form 700) may be completed electronically using a web browser. Electronic filing is voluntary and only available to individuals who file Form 700 with the Ethics Commission such as department heads, members of boards and commissions, or 87200 filers. If you file your Form 700 with your department you cannot electronically file Form 700 at this time. Please note that, due to state law requirements, filers who e-file must print a copy of the SEI that is generated by the system, sign the SEI with an original signature, and file the SEI with the Ethics Commission.
Why should you e-file?
- The system retains your entries so that you do not need to re-enter all of your information again the next time you file.
- You can obtain a copy of your previous filings by logging into your account at any time.
- The system provides on-screen help to assist you in completing the form.
- Internet Explorer 6.0 or greater or Firefox
(Note: The system is not compatible with the browser integrated into Lotus Notes)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Access to a printer
(Note: The system produces a PDF version of your SEI filing that can be transferred to another location to print)
How to electronically file with the Electronic Disclosure System
To electronically file, complete the following steps:
- Establish an account with the Ethics Commission by sending your name, department, position, address, phone number and e-mail address to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please wait for a confirmation e-mail from the system that your e-mail address has been updated before entering the system.
Alternatively, you may call 415-252-3100 from Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., to set up an account on the phone. You only need to establish an account the first time you file Form 700 with the Ethics Commission.
If you have already set up an account with the Ethics Commission, or your department filing officer established an account for you, proceed to step 2.
- Proceed to the login page. If you have never filed electronically before, choose "Need to Register?" and enter your e-mail address on file with the Ethics Commission. A password will be sent to your e-mail address.
- If you are filing an assuming office or leaving office statement, please notify the Ethics Commission by e-mail at email@example.com or call 415-252-3100 so that staff can establish your filing requirement in the system. Annual statements can be filed without notifying the Ethics Commission.
- Enter your e-mail address and password into the login screen.
- Complete Form 700 and submit the form electronically. The system will generate a paper copy for you. Print and sign a copy of the form. Submit the printed copy with the original signature to the Ethics Commission.
Submitting an electronic Form 700 only does not satisfy state law that requires you to file a paper copy with an original signature. Do not forget to print and sign your Form 700 and deliver it to the Ethics Commission. Failure to deliver the Form 700 with an original signature may subject you to penalties.