Agenda - October 22, 2012
SAN FRANCISCO ETHICS COMMISSION
NOTICE OF Regular MEETING
October 22, 2012 5:30 P.M.
Room 400 City Hall
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco
- Call to order and roll call.
- Public comment on matters appearing or not appearing on the agenda that are within the jurisdiction of the Ethics Commission.
- Discussion and possible action on Ethics Complaint Nos. 08110816 and 09110816, alleging that Executive Director John St. Croix and Tonia Lediju of the Controller's Office willfully violated the Sunshine Ordinance. These matters were referred to the San Jose City Attorney's Office for investigation and review. At this meeting, the Commission will deliberate on the San Jose City Attorney's Office's recommendations regarding the complaints. (Attachments: September 6, 2012 memoranda from San Jose Sr. Deputy City Attorney Lisa Herrick re Ethics Complaints No. 08-110816 and 09-110816; Responses from Complainant re Ethics Complaints No. 08-110816 and 09110816.)
- Discussion and possible action on draft amendments to the Campaign Finance Reform Ordinance (CFRO) to impose disclosure requirements on "draft committees" that support the candidacy of an identifiable person for City elective office who has not declared as a candidate. (Attachments: August 27, 2012 staff report and draft amendments.)
- Discussion and possible action on Annual Report for Fiscal Year 2011-2012. The Commission will discuss the contents of a draft annual report, suggest and vote on possible amendments, and possibly adopt the report for submission to the Mayor and Board of Supervisors. (Attachment: draft annual report for FY 11-12.)
- Discussion and possible action on minutes of the Commission's regular meetings of July 23, 2012 and September 24, 2012, and special meeting of September 11, 2012. (Attachments: draft minutes of the July 23, September 11 and September 24, 2012 meetings.)
- Discussion of Executive Director's Report. An update of important Ethics Commission staff activities since the previous monthly meeting. The written report covers the investigation and enforcement program, revenues, campaign finance disclosure program, revenues, public financing/campaign finance audit program, lobbyist program, campaign consultant program, and outreach and education. Any of these subjects may potentially be part of the Director's presentation or discussed by the Commission. (Attachment: ED report.)
- Discussion on items for future meetings. Commissioners may propose items for future agendas and the Commission may determine the priority of these items.
There will be an opportunity for public comment on each agenda item.
Materials contained in the Commission packets for meetings are available for inspection and copying during regular office hours at the Ethics Commission, 25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 220, at least 72 hours prior to meetings. Any materials distributed to members of the Ethics Commission within 72 hours of the meeting or after the agenda packet has been delivered to the members are available for public inspection at the Ethics Commission, 25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 220, San Francisco, during normal office hours.
Cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices: The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. The Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
Disability Access: The Ethics Commission meeting will be held in Room 400, City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA. The Commission meeting room is wheelchair accessible. The closest accessible BART station is the Civic Center Station at United Nations Plaza and Market Street. Accessible MUNI lines serving this location are: #42 Downtown Loop, and #71 Haight/Noriega and the F Line to Market and Van Ness and the Metro Stations at Van Ness and Market and at Civic Center. For information about MUNI accessible services call (415) 923-6142. There is accessible curbside parking adjacent to City Hall on Grove Street and Van Ness Avenue and in the vicinity of the Veterans Building at 401 Van Ness Avenue adjacent to Davies Hall and the War Memorial Complex.
To obtain a disability-related modification or accommodation, including auxiliary aids or services, to participate in a meeting, please contact the Ethics Commission at least 48 hours before the meeting, except for Monday meetings, for which the deadline is 4:00 p.m. the previous Friday. Late requests will be honored, if possible. Services available on request include the following: American sign language interpreters or the use of a reader during a meeting, a sound enhancement system, and/or alternative formats of the agenda and minutes. Please contact the Ethics Commission (415) 252-3100 to make arrangements for a disability-related modification or accommodation.
Chemical-Based Products: In order to assist the City's efforts to accommodate persons with severe allergies, environmental illnesses, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical-based products. Please help the City accommodate these individuals.
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE SUNSHINE ORDINANCE (Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code): Government's duty is to serve the public, reaching its decisions in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils, and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people's business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people's review.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE SUNSHINE ORDINANCE OR TO REPORT A VIOLATION OF THE SUNSHINE ORDINANCE, CONTACT THE SUNSHINE ORDINANCE TASK FORCE, City Hall, Room 244, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102-4689; phone: (415) 554-7724; fax: (415) 554-7854; email: SOTF@SFGOV.ORG. Copies of the Sunshine Ordinance can be obtained from the Clerk of the Sunshine Task Force, at the San Francisco Public Library, and on the City's website at http://www.sfgov.org
Lobbyist Registration and Reporting Requirements: Individuals who influence or attempt to influence local policy or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance (San Francisco Campaign and Governmental Conduct Code sections 2.100 – 2.160) to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at 25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 220, San Francisco, CA 94102; telephone (415) 252-3100, fax (415) 252-3112; and website: www.sfgov.org/ethics.